UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    I was resident Saturday night drummer at the Carstairs Club for about 6 months after the Teenbeats packed up. It was a really strange place to play. The entrance took you straight into the bar area but there was another room where the music was played. Both rooms were very small and there was hardly any seating in the music room. This meant that everyone stayed in the bar unless they wanted to dance, when they would pop into the music room. Because of this, you played about half the night to no-one. I played there with Derek Huson (spelling?) on piano and the guy on string bass, who used to play with Robin Grace and Bill Muir at the Glenpark Club. I can't remember his name. Although it was very small, the club attracted a very nice clientel and it was always a pleasant place to play. The main trouble was parking and getting the drums in and out of the place. Talking of Billy Edge, BlackdogMick, he played at my engagement party at the old Chessman club in Ainsdale and I also booked him to play in a trio at my wedding reception at the Queens Hotel. We had Dave Yarwood on bass (sadly deceased) and Bill Moreton on drums, who I believe is now in very poor health.

Happy days.

2. Likes Susiesue liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Cool The Continental

I remember we used to go in the Continental in the Scarisbrick circa 1969 before venturing off to the Somewhere Else. There was a band that played in there who were quite entertaining but I forget their name. They always used to play a Doors number.

The Continental was the large bar to the rear which was accessed via the the main entrance through the cocktail bar. All these bars have been since replaced.

Likes / Dislikes

Hiya Wilky,

I don't remember Dave Yarwood, but Bill Moreton rings a bell. Did he play at the Volly in the early / mid '70s, or am I mixing him up with someone else?
    One Moreton I do remember was Alec, he played with Bill at the Top Hat & was the 1st drum teacher I ever had. Alec was a friend of ours & when I was driving my dad barmy (bashing on everything available, but rhythmically [see...spelling is important]), he wanted to learn to drive, so they came to an agreement - one drum lesson in return for one driving lesson. Life seemed so simple then.
    Unfortunately my mum received a phone call recently to inform us of Alec's death a sad moment but he will be fondly remembered) and next time I come home I am going to get SOOO PI*S#ed in the Guest house!

5. Likes Susiesue liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Alec and Bill Moreton were the best of friends although not related. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Bill taught Alec to play. I'm really surprised you didn't know Bill because he was a friend of Billy Edge's and played with him quite a bit. Dave Yarwood was also well known around the town as a bass player. Bill Moreton lived in Heathfield Rd with his mother until she died. He worked in the Borough Treasurer's Dept at Southport Corporation. I think when the Borough disbanded he went to work in Bootle for Sefton Council as did many of the people employed by the former Borough. I too worked in the Treasurer's Dept in Southport, but only for about two and a half years. Billy was a very tasteful drummer and very popular with the jazz fraternity in the town. I can remember spending time with him and Billy Edge at the Franklin Hotel when the great man lived there. Unfortunately, Bill Moreton has been in very poor health for about 3 years now or so I am told. I did read the piece in the visiter recently about Alec being found dead, I believe, in his back garden. Very sad. There's not a lot good about growing old I'm afraid, but generally speaking, it beats the alternative.

Likes / Dislikes

Railwayman's Club, Sussex Rd.

Christmas '61 there was a bit of a crisis at this club as the resident pianist unfortunately had to be hospitalized a few days before Christmas. No piano player! All the town's pianists had been booked.

So my dad asked me if I would sit in with drummer Ernie Howard (Ivy St.) and play for seven straight nights (except Christmas Day). Apart from a few memorable stints with the illustrious Rebel Rousers I'd never played publicly before so I was a terrified 18 yr. old.

My dad gave me a long list of 'crowd pleaser' songs to practise and coached me through waltzes and quick steps. "Carolina Moon" , "Now is the Hour", "Who's Sorry Now". etc.

There was no real amplification except a cheap mike which the emcee just chucked into the piano when he'd finished yapping.
    Ernie Howard did a lot of lengthy drum solos to give me time to find out where I'd got lost in a few songs.

This club taught me how people's behaviour was related to the amount they had drunk. The shy guy at 7:30 pm became 'Frank Sinatra' stumbling on the stage at 11:30pm demanding to sing "The Tender Trap" I was paid very, very well and offered my dad all the money to reimburse him for all the piano lessons but he would not take it.

Although it wasn't exactly my 'scene' I loved the club because of all the down-to-earth working-class characters with teeth like crooked tombstones and Butts Lane complexions.

Caz, you may have jammed with Ernie Howard. He used to play with a great pianist, Maurice (?) Hulme from Crossens. Did the Rebs ever do a stint at The Railway Club?

Likes / Dislikes

Cool Top Hat club

Wilky, memories coming back.
    I think I didn't know Bill Moreton well because I would be under age at this time (1973ish). I was already a regular @ the T H by the time I was 16, but this priveledge didn't extend to (quite) every hostelry in Southport.

I do remember going to the Volly one night to watch him play & listen to this cymbal he had that Alec used to rave about. It was an old Zildjian K and sounded amazing even though it was on it's last legs. Result is that now, I use Zildjians ( mostly Ks).

Another ambition of Alec's was to own a Premier "Royal Ace" snare drum. In about 1986 I walked into a music shop in Leeds and saw some guy playing a snare, he didn't like it, but I did, & when he put it back I went for a look. It eventually cost me two really useless drums in exchange and is a 4" piccollo version of the "Royal Ace" - Alec was very proud of me when I told him.

As far as the Top Hat is concerned I have an old Grundig reel to reel tape recorder that belonged to my dad & it comes complete with some tapes recorded at the club with Alec on drums, Bill on piano and various others, including one Don Gee on bass. I need to look for other names.

Julies cat had kittens about this time & my dad baggied one, my sister christened it Cheeky and she lived until she was 21 (Cheeky that is, my sisters 42 now
    )
    Happy days!

I think you're right about Bill teaching Alec a few things but Alec's main tutor was Mike Bird & as far as I know Mike is still a regular in the Guest House.

Mick.

Likes / Dislikes
    Smithy - I don't remember the Rebel Rousers playing at the Railway Club but I depped for the bass player there a couple of times. The first time I walked in with bass guitar and amplifier and they asked me what it was! As a result I had to play the double bass instead and got the most wonderful blister on my plucking finger. I have to say though that the numbers were reasonably straight forward and it was added experience for an old rocker! I was a bit dwarfed by the double bass though!

Likes / Dislikes

Marine Club (The Zoo)

Ofcourse the Marine Club, hosted by Joe and Eileen Rowain, out lasted all the drinking establishments. Infamous but facinatiing, where all the usual suspects could be found, featured live music and cabaret for almost forty years, open seven days a week including Christmas day, and always after hours drinking till the early hours. Ronnie Hancock and Gary Robinson were the resident organ duo for years, backing stars like Bernie Flint, Tony the muscle man, Ken Dodd and many others.

Alf Prestburg I remember well as a true character of Southport, famous as the man who made a million and lost a million.

Billy Edge was my first jazz piano teacher when I was a mere fifteen years old. He suddenly disappeared from Southport and was never seen again. He was a true master of the Jazz keyboard.

I can affirm John Wilkie's statement that Billy Moreton taught Alec Moreton drums.
    Dave 'Keys' Williams

Likes / Dislikes
    Being an 18yr old, three-chord rock n' roll piano player I was in complete awe of the Southport jazz pianists who could improvise/ ex tempo rize 'Three Blind Mice ' without the music. To the extent I hitch-hiked down the A5 to London to sit for hours in the Ronnie Scott Jazz Club in Soho hoping that I would 'get it' by osmosis. Didn't get it.

Likes / Dislikes
    Donald Gee used to live next door to me in Railway St. I remember seeing him play at the Zoo & the Railway Club. Didn't he win on the lottery shortly before he died?
    Phil

13. Likes Susiesue liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Was that the same Don Gee who worked on the Railway?
    One of my brothers used to have a flat in Portland Street,this
    was about 24 years ago,his neighbour was a Don Gee.
    I think Don had a daughter Julie.

Likes / Dislikes

Thumbs up Yup,

Same chap Nell. Any idea what happened to him?

16. Likes Susiesue liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I was resident drummer at the Railway Club for nine years! This, of course, was after the piano went out and they bought a Hammond. The first guy I played with couldn't keep very good time and they fired him. Later it was found he had a thrombosis in his leg and had to have it amputated. I think he died shortly after that. Ben Haslam then had the job for many years followed by Terry Cooper. I left while Terry was still there but I did return for another year later on when the guy who had loads of cats played there. To my shame I can't remember his name, a real nice old guy though. He's probably still there! Doris, the great jazzer, used to come along and sing with us on ocassions. The club was probably the best attended working-man's club in the whole town at that time. I walked in about a year after I finished playing there and who should be on the organ but Dave Williams. I got up and played a couple of numbers with him and we later played together at La Tava for about two years and Samantha's night club in Preston which was previously called Club Royalle. I used to go and watch Robin Grace there in the late sixties. He had a great drummer from Preston called Danny Callahan. I heard recently that Danny is now in a wheelchair but I don't know how true that is. Robin Grace, of course, died many years ago, a great loss to the musical fraternity in Southport.

Likes / Dislikes

The Railway Club.

Yeah Wilky. I remember the Hammond. Was it a B3 model as played by Stevie Winwood? Anyway, on visits to Southport from Canada I always used to drop in the Railway Club with my dad. There was an MC. A short funny guy, black wavy hair with glasses like the bottoms of empty Coke bottles. Forget his name.

Les Crossley was on the door at the Sussex Rd entrance and he used to sing Burl Ives "Little Bit of Tear let Me Down" (You probably accompanied him lots of time) Tragically Les died in a fire in his home, probably started by a dropped cigarette into his armchair.

Peter Mentha is another regular that comes to mind. And a stocky red-headed bar-maid who lived down either Byrom St. or Bright St. Some old geyzers used to play Dominos across from the bar in one corner.

It was a great club and as you may remember Wilky the dance floor was never empty once the band started up.

Likes / Dislikes
    The MC was Danny Kirkbride. He looked a bit like Arthur Askey. He was/is a really good guy. I haven't seen him for many years, I don't even know if he is still alive. His hair never went grey. You may find it hard to believe but the man was in his late seventies when he gave the up the MC's job.

Yeah, Les Crossley and the dreaded 'Little bit o' tear.' He used to get up and sing a lot of songs. He really couldn't sing! He was the driving force behind the success of the Railway Club, there is no doubt about that, but he and I never got along, and on the two ocassions I jacked it in, both were after arguments with Les.

I remember Peter Mentha of course and most of the other regulars who used to attend every week. I would think most of them have passed away by now, I was just about the youngest person in the club when I played there.

On a Sunday night, the punters had to be there and stand in line an hour before the doors opened if they wanted their regular seats in the 'concert room.' I agree, for the type of club it was, it was excellent with very reasonable subscriptions and inexpensive drinks at the bar. Dominoes, darts, cards and snooker for those who wanted them and very, very seldom any trouble.

I remember the barmaid, (Barbara???), not sure, but she worked at Frank Wilson's in Manor Rd for many years.

Can't remember the model of Hammond, but it had the full set of "f@rting" bass pedals like the C3. If Dave Williams reads this, he will be able to tell us which model it was.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations